Thursday, December 30, 2010

MISS(ed) SMILE

Remember those posters which say SMILE, it costs nothing. Well those posters are such a fabrication of truth. Last night I saw one of these at the railway station, I was off to receive my friend. It was around half past nine and as usual the place was just like three dogs mating. Over-crowded. Some say I was lucky enough to get a seat on the platform. To be frank it sucked. I was sitting between a lady who was stinking of local alcohol and a guy who was touching himself in his sleep.

Well thank God; he was kind enough because I just lift my foot as they were hurting and a kid in front of me pukes. If this was not it, the squeaky clamor tore my ears apart. Everything in the station, living or dead made some noise or the other to kill my tolerance. And finally I decided to go outside the station and wait for her.

How do I always manage to end up into something I never want to be in and yet smile at it and say ‘Worse things happen ’. This was one of those abhorical situations. I get up and start walking towards the entrance talking on my phone. What was supposed to be a very easy process (stand, walk, reach and exit) turned out to be a calamity because I just missed the bottleneck of the process. Look Around’. And I bump into this girl.  

*Girl. Fair. Hair, pitch dark black, a little longer than the shoulder length. Eyes sparkling coffee brown. Pierced nose. Dark yellow tee with a cartoon of Marge Simpsons. Black boots with a blue skin tight denim*

She was just the way my grandmother used to describe the princesses in her fairytales. Especially with that butterfly tattoo on her neck (Oh damn, I make such a bad writer. How come I forgot to plant the tattoo in her description) she seriously was looking GODDAMN CUTE. I somehow managed to get a sorry out of my mouth. All she said was “That’s ok.” And she started moving.

*That’s ok*.  That’s it??? Come on. A slap or at least a couple of swears. She was just too pretty for me to let her go with just a “That’s ok”. I desperately wanted to talk to her more. She was one of those kinds, the Anne Hathaway kind with a sprinkle of Penelope Cruz in her. So I just decide to go and try my luck. If the crossbreed turns back, I go talk to her otherwise I stay and stare (actually letch). After a solid two minutes of Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge stereotype I discover that my luck isn’t lucky enough so I stand and letch.

I sneaked around whenever possible to just get a quick look at her. Of all girls I’ve met, I’ve always heard a wonderful philosophy from them that a girl will instantly get to know if a guy is checking her out, even if he is a mile away. I never believed them. But after seeing what was happening in front of me I was forced to believe the tabooed philosophy. Because this time when I tried to get a peek at her, she was standing a lot closer to me than she was a couple of minutes ago (say like as close as the 6 yard box from the goal, she was standing on the Dee line before).

Now  she was squiggling her hair with one hand and talking on the phone with the other like a 6 year old who just got a new toy phone which made her look even more prettier. I just couldn’t resist myself from smiling (She was way too hyper-active). The worse part starts here because this time she catches me letching at her and gives me an aggressive Sreeshanth grin. I thought of calling the game off but I just didn’t want to lose her off my sight.

She caught me a couple of more times letching at her but I still didn’t stop because I just wanted to talk to her. If I could not pull a conversation with her at least I could make her pull one. This went on for another ten minutes and I knew this was leading to nothing. So I finally decide to go to her and start the conversation.

The feeling is just like the one you get before you sky – dive or jump off a tall water slide. You so badly want to do it but still the lump inside says ‘You know you don’t wanna do it’. But still you do it. So I went to do it. But then some bitch who is always known for opening her mouth at the wrong time comes up with ‘Krupya dyaan de Dilli jaane wali rail 2627 platform number 2 pe aa rahi hai’ and that too with a Dolby Digital sound’s for the deprived.

Bullocks.

She picks her bag and leaves for the train. I was standing two yards away from her like a jackass. Of all the things I had been thinking for the past half hour, talking to her topped the list and here I was looking at her going away. But then as always the masochistic ego proves its existence. The famous alter-ego says ‘Chuck her. She wasn’t that good (inspired by The Fox and the Grapes Epic’. Things would have been good if it had ended there. But miracles do happen when you LEAST want them to happen.

She climbs in her compartment. Then when you expect the train to move she peeks out and SMILES.  And now the train moves.

All I did for the next ten seconds was just smile back. *Damn. Number… Name… Something… Holy Fart!!! Missed her* That was what I did for the next thirty minutes after the ten seconds.

Now she just remains in my boob memory as Ms. SMILE reminding me how big a boob i was. Actually a wuss. The list goes on.

*MISS SMILE… MISS(ed) SMILE*

Dedicated to Nikhil Narsapur (The WUSS).

Eat well sleep safe.. Take care.. Have a Nice Day.. Sayonara.. =)

8 comments:

  1. Good...but not as good ... you can do better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaah (nostalgic sigh)... bittersweet memories..thanks to the Indian railways.
    (Read this with a glass of wine), nice feel to it.

    btw how tall was she? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man..i dunno wat to say..!!! i hate girls at railway station..i always miss them..!! and the worst part is de do not smile back..!!
    anyways..thanx for the dedication.!! keep writing.! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. and btw..5'4" is good for me..:P

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha "guy touching himself in sleep"

    but seriously, not up to expectation.

    but aye do what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaahhh.... railways.... smiles.. moments.... beauties... nostalgic... phew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. neat one:) nice:) simply superb:)

    ReplyDelete

Imprints